Drive Defensively on the Road to Safety
Be prepared to respond quickly and safely to traffic conditions and other drivers.
- Obey speed laws and traffic signals.
- Be on the lookout for surprises: pedestrians, bicycles, potholes, other drivers, etc.
- Pass only on the left after making sure you have plenty of room.
- Stay at least 3 seconds behind the vehicle in front.
- For night driving, increase your following distance.
- Continually check your rearview and side mirrors.
- Pull off the road if you’re sleepy or need to check a map, make a phone call, etc.
- Turn on your lights when it starts to get dark.
- Take extra precautions in heavy traffic and around road construction.
- Maintain your vehicle, including tires, fluid levels, etc.
- Carry emergency repair and signaling equipment.
Don’t Do These Things
- Drink and drive
- Do drugs and drive
- Overload your vehicle
Reprinted with permission of Safety National