Technology in the workplace: Distraction in your Pocket
Distractions are everywhere, but it’s the glowing screens in our pockets that are fast becoming our favorite distraction in the workplace.
In a recent survey of 1,000 workers by Virgin Pulse, researchers found that 45 percent of respondents were distracted by email, texts and social media.
Distracted driving leads the pack for causes of automobile accidents, but distractions on the shop floor can easily lead to avoidable accidents.
If you don’t already have a policy on tech in your workplace, consider the following:
- Prohibit cellphone or smart phone use while driving on company time.
- Ban cellphones on work floors with the exception of emergencies and job-related tasks.
- Prohibit the use of cell phones or smart phones while operating machinery.
- Cell phones should be put away if employees have direct interaction with clients/customers.
- Encourage employees to only use devices during lunch or break periods.